Butter. It’s a building block to some of our diets. It’s the base to many sauces. But it’s even better when you make your own.
I’m not suggesting you harvest your own cream and churn it until the cows come home, I’m talking about enhancing basic butter to be even better. Think about it:
- a whipped cinnamon coffee butter for breakfast toast
- a basil & garlic cultured butter for lunch sandwiches
- a rosemary & thyme brown butter for dinner roasts
Enhancing your butter gives you an edge in the kitchen by cutting time down the line.
Butter – sweet cream, cultured, whipped, brown, ghee, vegan butter, margarine, clotted cream
Salted or Unsalted? Most chefs say always go with unsalted & add salt to taste, but this choice is ultimately up to you
Herb – basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram, cilantro, parsley, sage, sesame, chive, scallion,
Produce – garlic, lemon, lime, jalapeno, orange, chiles, olive, truffle, pumpkin, peach, peppers, berries, tomato, pineapple, apple,
Spice – cinnamon, brown sugar, paprika, old bay, black pepper, turmeric, chili powder, wasabi, horseradish, ginger, cayenne, nutmeg, mustard,
Sweet – maple syrup, molasses, honey, soft caramel, white sugar, brown sugar (light or dark), jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves, hot fudge, marshmallow,
Other – cheese (a crumbly kind works best), seaweed, instant coffee, bonito flakes, wine (red, blush, white), bacon crumbles, sprinkles, sesame seeds, chia seeds, milled flax seed, food coloring, raisins,
Looking for Cookie Butter? Look here.
How to make Butter
Tools: whisk attachment for electric mixer
Ingredients: heavy whipping cream, salt (to taste)
- Beat heavy whipping cream on medium low until you get whipped cream
- Beat whipped cream at same speed until curds form & buttermilk separates
- Remove buttermilk & beat just the curds until loose butter forms
- Strain butter with cheese cloth & bowl overnight to remove buttermilk
- Unwrap & rinse butter with cold tap water in a large bowl until water runs clear
- Buttermilk left within the butter will go rancid, but can be used separately for baking
- Salt (& flavor) to taste
Storage: sealed container, counter (65 & below) a few weeks, counter (66-75) up to 1 week, counter (76 & higher) a few days, refrigerated up to 6 weeks, frozen up to 1 year
Full recipe here.
- Easter – This Sunday, the 21st (lemon herb butter on sweet rolls, perhaps?)
- Earth Day – This Monday, the 22nd (blue cheese & chive butter that looks like a little globe, maybe?
Better Butter possibilities are endless.